Monday, August 8, 2011

What Next???

When Phil was 18 and in the high school transition program he volunteered (actually he was in training) at the headquarters for Safeco Insurance which was about five miles from our house. The dress code was shirts and ties for the men and that included him. He looked so handsome and professional. His main responsibilities were in the cafeteria cleaning tables and filling salt and pepper shakers. One morning he came down for breakfast before going to catch his bus. His left eyebrow was gone.

After the shock drained I finally sputtered out “What happened???”

“I don’t know.” He gave his usual response.

We put together the scenario. Phil had an electric shaver. As he shaved and watched himself in the mirror he shaved higher and higher. “Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I….?”

We penciled in his eyebrow for weeks until a new one grew back.

Then when he was in his early 20s and working at a thrift store he wanted to see the effect that same razor would have on his head. Taken from my journal on May 20, 2000—
“Phil mentioned this week that ‘Adam cuts his own hair.’ I did not recognize the comment as a foreshadowing but it was. Pip and Jessica found him (in the bathroom) and had to clean up what he did. He is not completely bald but almost. ‘I like it!’ Phil told me.”

Phil and a good friend of the family

Last Friday I cut his hair. When I finished and was just about ready to do the trim work my attention was diverted while I visited with my daughter. Phil took the trimmer out of my hand and faster than my reflex he made a fashion statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment